Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oven Beef Roast

 
 While the deathly crush of winter continues, I must make with the protein posts.  I am looking forward to an excellent spring and summer.  But for now, it’s all about roots, meats, and dairy.

Roasts are one of my favorite things to make especially when it is cold outside.  They are easy, taste great, make your house smell awesome, and leave plenty of leftovers.  I actually do not own a crok pot currently so I just use my oven but you can do this in a crok pot on low for 7 hours instead if you want.











This basic recipe is for beef but can also work with a few changes for a pork roast (Boston butt, etc).  If you are doing a pork roast that is fatty, you can leave out the broth and veggies and just salt and pepper it fat side up.  It is fine to do it with chicken broth if you want the veggies but it will work without it too. If it is lean pork use chicken broth and add Thyme and/or Sage as well if you like.

Ingredients
1 roast
Potatoes – At least enough to fill up a cereal bowl
Carrots – as many as you like (the ones pictured came out of my garden in  January!)
Onions – at least one but up to two medium onions (white is best but use what you got)
Beef or vegetarian broth (note, if you can freeze and reuse the broth. It will be even better the next time) – I make mine up from dried granules per instructions.  When I get into buying large cuts of meat I will probably start making it but not there yet
Kosher Salt
Pepper
Rosemary (optional)
 
Take roast.  Cover it in salt and pepper.  Cut up potatoes into cubish wedges.  Peel the carrots and cut into whatever size you like.  If the carrots are smaller I tend to just wash them as the skin doesn’t bother me really.  Dice onions.  Put the roast in a pan that can hold up to 2 inches of broth when filled.  Evenly distribute the onions, potatoes, and carrots.  Pour in the broth.  Cover very tightly with aluminum foil a few times to ensure a tight seal.  Heat on 200 degrees for at least 5 hour and no longer than 7 or 8.  I prep this and put it in the oven at lunch on a day when I am coming home for lunch.  It is then ready for dinner when I get back.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Nice. I made a recipe similar to this on Saturday night/Sunday morning in the crock pot. It only got better as the day progressed.

    ReplyDelete