Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fruit Compote




 









This is a versatile delight that is simple and delicious.  

Basically, anything that is sweet and fruity is a version of this.  I typically do this with berries left over from the peach truck this summer or I buy frozen berry mix and make it.
Take fruit – the good, the bad, and the ugly.  This is a great way to save fruit.  If it is starting to go bad you can make this and then freeze it.  It will keep for a while.
Cut into cubes if necessary (like apples or pears, etc).  Put them into a saucepot.  Add water.  Eyeball it.  You want to cover the fruit in water and then add a little but more.  Add sugar.  This is up to you but depending on the fruit (and your audience)  I use anywhere from a half a coffee cup’s worth to 2 coffee cups worth.  Heat on high until it boils.  Turn the heat down.  Mash up some of the fruit with a ladle or fork or whatever is easiest.   If I am doing the berries, I leave it at that since I am going to use it in my yogurt.  If am making an apple compote I will keep cooking until it boils off enough water to thicken. 
This is an easy way to make an awesome pie filling of virtually any fruit.  It would also be great on pancakes, waffles, or crepes.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment