Thursday, April 7, 2011

Squash and Onions

It has been a while.  This one has been busy.  As with many new blogs, my postings have waned.  Lets see if we can remedy that.  This weekend has potential as I will be attending the Magnolia State BBQ Cookoff in Columbus, MS.  To kick it off, here is one of my favorite recipes I learned from my peach selling days at the Griffins in West Alabama/East Mississippi.


Recipe
1 small to 1 large onion  (yellow or white work best but red would do in a pinch)
4-8 crooks of yellow squash
half a stick of butter (unsalted if you got it)
course black pepper and kosher salt to taste

Wash the squash.  Slice it into half inch or less slices.  I half the bigger parts to make them more manageable in the skillet.  Cut the onion in half after taking off the skin.  Cut the onion into slices about halves.  Cut those into halves.  Separate the onions so you have individual pieces of onion about 2-3 inches long.  Don't worry too much about the onions.  I prefer them this way but if you would rather just dice them feel free.  Put everything in a skillet with about an inch of water.  Once the butter has all melted, salt and pepper.  I eyeball it but basically a spoonful of both salt and pepper should do it..  If you used salted butter watch out on your salt.  Cook everything down until the water evaporates.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment